Thursday, November 28, 2013

Day 2- 6 Doodlebug North Pole Christmas Cards for $5

Happy Thanksgiving!!!  Welcome to Day 2 of my Holiday Inspiration Series.  I thought I would kick things off with a set of Christmas Cards I made awhile back for Paper Crafts November/December 2013 Submission call.

Sadly they didn't get picked up, but I had so much fun making them all the same.  The call asked for readers to create 5 cards for under $5.  That meant we weren't allowed to use any stamps, punches, dies, etc. that weren't part of that $5.  The only extra freebie we were given was ink and a paper trimmer.  I gotta say it was a super fun challenge and it totally got me thinking outside the box.  I can't tell you how hard it was to not touch a single die or punch (or sewing machine) though... I was going through withdrawals, BIG TIME.  ;)

What was allowed however was clearance and I hit an AMAZING sale after Christmas last year at my local Craft store who was practically giving things away to make room for their Winter CHA purchases.  In fact I was able to squeeze in a bonus 6th card for well below my $5 budget (scroll to the bottom of the page to see my breakdown).

I must confess that I am a huge bargain shopper anyway and I will frequently stock on supplies for next year's Christmas cards which is why I had these supplies in hand when the call came out several months after the holidays.  I felt lucky to find parts of this darling Doodlebug North Pole collection for 70 to 85% off (some of it just kept getting cheaper and cheaper each time I went back).


Double sided papers are awesome for this challenge!  All six of these cards were created with only 2 sheets of patterned paper!  Since I wasn't allowed to punch borders, I used the chevron stripes on one of my papers to hand cut a zig-zag border for my first two cards.


When you're short on tools, another tip is to look for card designs that use a lot of straight lines.  This has the added bonus of making a card design go quickly which is also nice when you're mass producing cards to send to all your friends and family.  ;)


I used my printer to create handmade sentiments for several of my cards.  This is actually really easy and saves all sorts of money.


I love that for a small investment it's totally possible to start a paper crafting hobby without spending a fortune.  That's definitely something I need to remind myself of from time to time...  I actually ended up with a lot of leftover embellishments to create more cards, but I ran out of paper so I called it good with six.




My budget:

  • (3) 12x12 Sheets of American Crafts White Cardstock- $0.33 each x 3= $0.99
  • (2) Doodlebug North Pole Patterned Papers (Playful Pines, Santa’s Scarf)- $0.30 each x 2= $0.60
  • (1) Doodlebug North Pole Icon Stickers- $0.30
  • (1) Doodlebug North Pole Banner Stickers- $.60
  • (1) Doodlebug Jewels (Christmas assortment)- $1.50
  • (1) American Crafts Mini Ribbon Roll- $.30
  • Fonts: KG As The Deer, KG How Many Times & Wendy Medium (for sentiments)- FREE

Subtotal= $4.29 + $0.36 Sales Tax (WA 8.4%)= $4.65 Grand Total

Hope you have an awesome day with those you love!  :)



1 comment:

  1. Wow...you were a BUSY girl! I love all of these...but my very favorite is the reindeer KISS-mas one---that's adorable!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...