Thursday, March 19, 2015

Create Magazine: Doodlebug Fruit Stand Spring Fairy Layout

Hello there!  I'm excited to finally be sharing a couple projects with you which are featured in this month's CREATE magazine.  If you haven't heard of this publication before, it is a completely free online magazine brought to you by the team at Scrapbook Generations.  :)

This month Doodlebug was the featured manufacturer so they asked us to play along with their darling sketches.

Up first I have a layout using a sketch designed by Debbie Sanders and Doodlebug's happy Fruit Stand collection.


There's a bit of a story on how I selected the collection.  I started my creative process with the sketch calling for a single vertical photo which led me to an old favorite photo of my daughter which I never got around to scrapbooking.  From there I needed a collection with Doodlebug's lilac color which I didn't realize until now is actually a bit hard to come by.  In fact the only one I could find in my stash was the darling Fruit Stand collection, however I decided fruit images didn't really fit for this particular page.  In the end I was able to carefully omit the fruit images using the "B" sides of the papers so I could focus on my flower fairy inspired theme and I think it works.  ;)


This collection has so many happy colors, but I made the design decision to keep my colors to Doodlebug's Lilac, Bubblegum pink, Bumblebee yellow & Limeade green as a compliment to my photo.

The sketch called for an embellishment of some kind in the top right corner, but after lots of searching I was unable to find just the right winged creature in my sticker collection to fit the space and colors.  An old Doodlebug die by Sizzix came to my rescue!  I love that with some basic patterned papers in my color palette, I was able to create my own that matched perfectly!


For the bottom corner grouping, I cut one of Lori Whitlock's tag and pocket cutting files on my Silhouette and grouped it with a die-cut title using the Olivier font (love this and best of all it's free).  For my flower cluster, I used a combination of flowers which I fussy cut from one of the patterned papers in collection and cutouts from the Hello Sunshine Kraft Kit.


My second project in the magazine is a birthday card using another great sketch by Allison Davis and Doodlebug's Hip Hip Hooray collection.  This is really a versatile sketch that I know I will be turning to over and over again--As you will see in the magazine, I love that there are so many different ways to interrupt it!


You can view more of this cool issue filled to the brim with inspiration HERE.  Also these fun sketches as well as a couple extras can be downloaded for free HERE.



Supplies Used (available at Simon Says Stamp)

Supplies Used (available at Scrapbook.com)

3 comments:

  1. These are fantastic Mendi! Love how you shared the story of your process with the layout and I love how it turned out. Such a perfect Spring layout. And that robot card is just adorable too with the splash of sequins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mendi these projects are gorgeous! I really love your layout, so fun and the colors are so soft and pretty. Of course your daughter highlights and compliments this layout beautifully! Your card is so cute too and perfect for that special little boy! Love them both and congrats for being published in the March issue of the magazine my friend!
    Hugs,
    Jo
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. So perfectly done and so magnificent!! Love the fairy wishes layout - how fun and very cool to see the Fruit Stand collection being used in such a unique way!! In love with all the sweet details you added - just AMAZING!! And that fun, absolutely cute AND cool card for a boy is just excellent and just so perfect!! Love seeing all the great things you do!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...